Meeting notes - April 9, 2016
Attendance: Carl, Kathleen, Therese, Rebecca, Melanie, Fr. Gregory, and John
Guests: Anna (Carl's daughter)
1) Opening Prayers
2) Formation with Fr. Gregory Kandt
• Instruction on praying the Divine Office (Liturgy of the Hours) for individuals and as a group
• Fr. Gregory recommends the Daughters of St. Paul single volume edition -- BUT sadly it is now OUT OF PRINT. It did not even come up in Amazon search.
3) Great fellowship and food -- thanks for all those sharing their bounty, thoughts, and prayers!
4) Carl shared video from Brother Casey Cole, O.F.M. on "Who is the real St. Francis"
5) Sheila just went with group from Incarnation to Haiti. Sheila was unfortunately hospitalized with illness during her visit and was still recovering during our meeting, but reports now that she is feeling much better. We heard at 5:30pm Mass that they visited many areas of the community we support in clinics, nursing school, and employment & farming, and our donations are very much appreciated. Please keep the people of Haiti in your prayers.
6) John shared news that he met with Sister Patty Chappell, S.N.D., who is the president of Pax Christi, USA. John met to talk about solutions for peace for the issue of community tensions about Robert E. Lee statue and the issue of gun violence. Please consider coming on Monday, April 11th at 7pm to the Pax Christi meeting at Incarnation in Room #8 to help us work for peace in Charlottesville. John also got a great guide for voters -- Pope Francis' guide for voters -- and based on Catholic Social Justice teachings. Will be offering at meeting and after all Masses on April 16-17.
7) Looking at adding a suggested Wake Service for the Secular Franciscan Order to our regional website -- working with Patrick Martin our regional minister. Good to be prepared as we never know when Sister Death will visit, also keep Deacon Tom Bello and his family in your prayers.
8) Secretary's Report: John will contact Helga arrange a visit with sister Rose in April. Working with region to have a Franciscan Wake Service added to our website for future needs. Review of upcoming dates and planning.
9) Treasurer's Report - Melanie Bninski
Beginning Balance: $1035.13
Income: $220 in donations
Expenses: $100 for spiritual assistant
$15 for CWS
Net increase of $105
New balance: $1140.13
Melanie also paid the fair-share for this year to region.
10) Carl is contacting a person who may be able to lead our Fall Retreat, and also a new date for the Virginia fraternities gathering -- stay tuned...
• Gary Cook - April 9th
• Rebecca Gallant - April 9th
• Therese Auger - April 20th
• Helga Fallis - April 27th
• Sheila Herlihy - May 8th (Mother's Day)
• Gail Barber - 9 years
• Helga Fallis - 9 years
• Phil Clem - 12 years
• Gary Cook - 15 years
• Elizabeth Eilers-Adams - 35 years
Remembrance for those who have gone before us:
• Mary Benza, O.F.S.
• April 22-24, 2016 - Annual Regional Retreat at Priestfield
• April 23rd - Trader Joe's pick-up at 10am
• May 14 - Next Meeting at 12:15pm w/ formation starting at 11am
• May -- Pilgrimage to Terra Patris with John -- details TBA
• June 30 - July 4, 2016 - Quinquennial Meeting in St. Louis
• Virginia Gathering of Secular Franciscans - Looking for a new date.
• Saturday, October 8th -- Elections for officers (done every three years -- prayerfully consider)
• Saturday & Sunday October 22-23 - Annual Fraternity Retreat at Our Lady of the Angels Monastery in Crozet.