Meeting notes - February 13, 2016
Attendance: Carl, Rebecca, Phil, Elizabeth, Kathleen, Martha, Anne, Therese, Sheila, Gail, and John
Guests: Zach & Joan
1) Opening Prayers & Daily Office - Mid-Day Prayer
2) Formation -- reading of SFO Rule #4 & Discussion
• Rule #4 The rule and life of the Secular Franciscans is this: to observe the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ by following the example of St. Francis of Assisi who made Christ the inspiration and the center of his life with God and people.
Christ, the gift of the Father’s love, is the way to him, the truth into which the Holy Spirit leads us, and the life which he has come to give abundantly.
Secular Franciscans should devote themselves especially to careful reading of the gospel, going from gospel to life and life to gospel.
• Fr. Gregory will be at our next meeting to offer us instruction on praying the Divine Office
3) Great fellowship and food -- thanks for all those sharing their bounty, thoughts, and prayers!
4) Secretary's Report: John will contact Helga arrange a visit with sister Rose in February. Deposit check was dropped off at Our Lady of the Angels Monastery to secure dates for our Annual Retreat in October.
5) Treasurer's Report - Melanie Bninski
Note: Melanie was not at our meeting due to her exciting news of the birth of a new granddaughter. Will have a more detailed report later this month.
Mount La Verna Fraternity
Donations at meeting on 2/13/2016: $ 356.00
• Carl Stacy - Feb. 18th
• 1 Year since Rite of Admission for Sheila Herlihy and Rebecca Gallant (Feb. 2)
Remembrance for those who have gone before us:
• Mary Benza, O.F.S.
• February 17th - Catholics in the Capital & Vespers at Cathedral in Richmond LINK
• February 17th -- Penance Service at Incarnation 7:30pm (Lent Activities at Incarnation)
• February 26th - Social Justice Reflection at Incarnation 7pm
• February 28th - Coffee & Conversations -- helping unite our Latino & Anglo communities
• March 7th - Peace Mass at Incarnation
• March 9th - Lenten reflection for Poustinia 7:30pm LINK
• March 11th - Taize Prayer & Soup Supper at Incarnation
• Social Justice Stations of the Cross on Downtown Mall -- TBA w/ Casa Alma & Pax Christi
• April 2, 2016 - Day of Reflection for Candidates and Inquirers at St. Anthony Shrine
• April 22-24, 2016 - Annual Regional Retreat at Priestfield
• May -- Pilgrimage to Terra Patris -- details TBA
• June 30 - July 4, 2016 - Quinquennial Meeting in St. Louis
• Virginia Gathering of Secular Franciscans - Mid-July at Incarnation PAC
• Saturday, October 8th -- Elections for officers (done every three years -- prayerfully consider)
• Saturday & Sunday October 22-23 - Annual Fraternity Retreat at Our Lady of the Angels Monastery in Crozet. (tentative date)